Dinner with S

My cousin S came over for dinner on Sunday. This is the first time she is visiting me. Her daughter,husband accompanied her.S and I are of the same age and are third cousins to be precise. Am supposed to call her “chithi” lol, but never did.
We share some beautiful memories together. I have spent days with her during my vacations when I was in school. She lived in the same place where my grand parents live, so anytime we are in my granny’s place, I am set to visit her atleast once. It was a time when there were no mobile phones, so my mom used to leave me in her place and then pick me up after 3-4 days. No inbetween calls to find out if “is she eating, is she comfortable” like we do today. I used to wear S’ clothes when at her place and she used to wear mine. We used to play all day with her lovely set of “choppu jaaman” (read little utensils in a kitchen set). Her father used to take us to their grocery shop, and we used to munch “naturo” mango bars, five stars(that came with a golden brown cover),raisins and if nothing was given, handful of wholewheat popped in the mouth that turns into a white chewing gum like stuff !
I very clearly remember, sometime in 1990 or so, there were some cute stickers that we can stick on our watch dials, and S gifted me a whole sheet of them… wow how I cherished them. S’ mom was an awesome cook and I can never forget how she always made “mundiri kothu” ( a sweet delicacy made in South India, with gram flour,jaggery and channa dhall) and “suyyam aka susiyam”(another sweet dish , little softer than the former). Yummmm…
When I had completed my graduation and wanted to look for a job, I came to Chennai where S lives. S got married then. I went straight to her place and stayed there for a month – thats the relationship we share. We had a wonderful time together then.S then went to south east asia and then to London,and is now in Chennai again.
We met after say 6-7 years and we had so much to speak about.. It is indeed good to meet old pals like this. Friendship is a beautiful thing and when its with someone in the family, its even more beautiful. Love you S. Wish you a wonderful life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Machine

ஒரு பழைய தொலைபேசி டயரியும் நானும்

தேடல்